HOME > Foreign Entry Requirements

Foreign Entry Requirements and Travel Tips:

Foreign Entry Requirements and Country Information

International Travel Information for US Citizens


This listing of foreign entry requirements is the leading online resource for U.S. citizens traveling on tourism or business. It does not apply to persons planning to emigrate from the U.S. to foreign countries.

A Briggs recommends that your passport should be valid at least 6 months beyond the last date of travel outside the United States. Some countries require that your passport not expire within six months of the date you leave the country but do not enforce the policy upon entering the country. Other countries do not declare such a policy but do enforce it at the border. For this reason, A Briggs strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens traveling abroad use the six-month guideline; that is, if your passport will expire within six months of the date you return to the U.S. from traveling internationally, renew your passport before departure.

Likewise, A Briggs recommends that you have at least three blank pages in your passport when departing the U.S. to travel internationally -- and remember that the last pages in your passports are for amendments and endorsements and may not be accepted for use as blank visa pages.


Please select the country for which you need information using the drop down menu below.

Country Specific Information


Proof of Citizenship (abbreviated: additional resource)
All countries require travelers to show proof of U.S. citizenship upon entry to their country and upon return re-entry to the U.S. If you are flying to any international destination from or to the U.S., you must have a valid passport in your possession.

Most countries require you to present your passport upon arrival. If you do not have one, click here for information about obtaining a passport. If you need a visa, click here.

A few countries do not require a passport and will accept other types of proof of citizenship including an original or certified copy of your birth certificate, original Certificate of Naturalization, original Certificate of Citizenship, or original Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States. If you are traveling to a country that does not require a passport for admission, we recommend you use either a passport, certified copy of your birth certificate, or original Certificate of Naturalization.

If you are traveling to a country that does not require a passport and you do not present a passport upon entrance, you also should be prepared to present proof of your identity. To prove your identity, a valid driver's license or government identification card is acceptable provided they identify you by physical description or photograph. However, for travel overseas and to facilitate reentry into the U.S., the U.S. State Department says, "a valid U.S. passport is the best documentation available and unquestionably proves your U.S. citizenship."

Certified birth certificates are issued by the state, city or county in which you were born and must have a raised seal of the issuing agency. Hospital birth certificates are unacceptable for proof of citizenship.

Although Canada, Mexico, and some other countries in the Caribbean do not require a passport, we have had a number of reports of U.S. travelers entering Canada and Mexico being detained upon entry or re-entry to the U.S. because they do not have passports. We suggest that you secure a passport before travel to these countries. Please note that even though some countries and tour operators state a birth certificate is sufficient for entrance to a country, we have had reports of travelers being denied boarding because they did not have a valid passport.

Some countries require that your U.S. passport be valid at least 6 months or longer beyond the dates of your trip. If your passport expires in less than six months, you should renew your passport prior to your departure from the U.S.

For more information, refer to Proof of Citizenship and Identity

Below is a list of all countries in the world and their requirements for entry by U.S. citizens. Check the country to which you are traveling to learn the requirements to enter that country. Some countries require U.S. citizens to obtain a visa, which is a permit allowing the passport holder to visit that nation. Visas are issued in the U.S. by the embassy or consulate of the country to which you are traveling. Obtain it from the appropriate embassy or consulate in the U.S. before leaving to enter that country.

Allow sufficient time for processing your visa application, especially if you are applying by mail. Note that some countries including China do not allow applying by mail. It is the responsibility of the traveler to obtain visas, where required, from the appropriate embassy or nearest consulate in the U.S. of the country you are planning to visit. As soon as you receive your visa, check it to make sure no mistakes were made. Processing and visa fees vary from country to country, and most fees are not refundable. For assistance with a visa, click here.

Under the International Health Regulations adopted by the World Health Organization, a country may require International Certificates of Vaccination against yellow fever, especially if you are traveling from an area of the world that is infected with yellow fever. Prophylactic medication for malaria and certain other preventive measures are advisable for travel to some countries. No immunizations are required to return to the United States. Detailed health information may be obtained from your local healthcare provider or by contacting the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or by telephone at 1-877- 394-8747.

Flu Shots
Flu shots are available in many countries and the vaccine available in advanced, first-world countries is virtually the same as that in the U.S. according to an article in the Wall Street Journal on December 14th that quotes William Schaffner, chair of the Department of Preventative Medicine at Vanderbilt University. He cautions that the “…vaccine in the Southern Hemisphere will be last year’s version until about April or May.” For more information about where you might get a flu shot see the State Department’s list of hospitals and doctors abroad.

AIDS/HIV Testing
An increasing number of countries have established regulations regarding AIDS testing for long-term visitors. If you are traveling to a country for longer than 90 days, be sure and check the requirements of the Embassy or Consulate for the country that you plan to visit to learn if an AIDS test is a requirement for entry.

Additional Fees
All international flights are subject to U.S. Immigration and U.S. Customs fees paid in advance as part of your ticket. In addition, many countries have departure fees that are sometimes collected at the time of ticket purchase or upon exiting the foreign country.

The U.S. State Department also publishes the requirements to enter all nations in the world; however, because of resource limitations, the information is updated only once a year and is often out of date and incorrect. See the State Department Foreign Entry Requirements.

11+ Day*
4-10 Day*
1-3 Day*
* Business Days

Real-Time Status Check

Last Name

Date of Birth